Support for research and innovation
Sept-les, Quebec, May 18, 2022 - The governments of Canada and Quebec confirm a total of $16,894,025 in financial assistance for the Cegep de Sept-les to support the construction of a new pavilion to house three specialized test benches for the railway, industrial maintenance, and smart energy sectors. This project is valued at over $18.8 million.
The Minister of Sport and Minister responsible for Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions (CED), the Honourable Pascale St-Onge, and the Minister for the Economy, Lucie Lecours, made the announcement today.
The new pavilion will also include offices for researchers, shared workspaces, and other spaces dedicated to entrepreneurship and innovation scale-up.
The Government of Canada is granting $7 million in financial assistance under the Regional Economic Growth through Innovation (REGI) program administered by CED. For its part, the Government of Quebec is granting $9,894,025 through Component 4 - Soutien au financement d'infrastructures de recherche et d'innovation of the Programme de soutien aux organismes de recherche et d'innovation.
"By investing in places of learning and research, we are contributing to a dynamic Cote-Nord region. Through its new pavilion, the Cegep de Sept-les will become a veritable catalyst for innovation and economic diversification for the entire region, and for the country as a whole. This large-scale project will make valuable resources available to Cote-Nord businesses to help them become more competitive and resilient."
The Honourable Pascale St-Onge, Member of Parliament for Brome-Missisquoi, Minister of Sport and Minister responsible for CED
"Quebec needs educational and research institutions at the cutting edge of technology to continue to innovate and train a next generation capable of overcoming the challenges of the 21st century. Building this new pavilion at the Cegep de Sept-les will help accelerate research and innovation in upandcoming fields for Quebec."
Lucie Lecours, Minister for the Economy
"Since 1980, the Cegep de Sept-les has been actively supporting research, training for the next generation, and economic development in the Cote-Nord region. This project will facilitate research activities in key sectors of our economy, to the benefit of Cote-Nord businesses, which will profit from this new knowledge."
Jonatan Julien, Minister of Energy and Natural Resources and Minister Responsible for the CoteNord Region and the Gaspesie-les-de-la-Madeleine Region
"This pavilion is the result of a strategy we have been pursuing for over 15 years based on a strong portfolio of achievements. It represents an important milestone in our ambition in Sept-les and Port-Cartier to establish, within our territory, a world-class innovation hub. In addition to the financial support from both levels of government, the Cegep has received major contributions from partners such as Desjardins, Rio Tinto IOC, and ArcelorMittal that will enable us to acquire specialized equipment."
David Beaudin, Director General, Cegep de Sept-les
- The three test benches that will be installed in the new pavilion at the Cegep de Sept-les align with the mission of the Centre d'entrepreneuriat et de valorisation des innovations (CEVI), a non-profit organization fostering innovation and entrepreneurship. They will strengthen projects in three research units: the Institut technologique de maintenance industrielle, the Centre de recherche et d'innovation en intelligence energetique, and the Chaire de recherche industrielle en exploitation et maintenance ferroviaire.
- CED is a key federal partner in Quebec's regional economic development. With its 12 regional business offices, CED accompanies businesses, supporting organizations and all regions across Quebec into tomorrow's economy.
- The Programme de soutien aux organismes de recherche et d'innovation aims, among other things, to help modernize, develop, and pool together Quebec's public research infrastructure to strengthen the province's innovation system and its components; enhance the competitiveness of businesses and society through innovation; and facilitate the optimal or coordinated use of research results at the economic, social, environmental, and cultural levels.
- To learn more about CED, visit www.ced-dec.gc.ca.
CED on social media:
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/CanEconDev
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/dec-ced
- YouTube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCuGx3HuidfI7gTHobNrctJA
Ministre de l'Economie et de l'Innovation on social media:
Office of the Minister of Sport and Minister responsible for Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions
Office of the Minister for the Economy
Office of the Minister of Energy and Natural Resources and Minister Responsible for the Cote-Nord Region and the Gaspesie-les-de-la-Madeleine Region
Tel: 418 654-8246
Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions
Head of Media Relations
Ministre de l'Economie et de l'Innovation
Tel: 418-691-5698, ext. 4868